ScaramoucheBlog

Politics, Sex, Religion, and all those impolite Human Conversations...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Oaksterdam, California

Monday, June 12, 2006

Guantanamo suicides 'acts of war'

After reading PR, suicide style I was having second thoughts about trying to break into the world of PR. Little did I know that killing yourself could be considered a PR stut.

But it gets worse:
Guantanamo suicides 'acts of war':
The suicides of three detainees at the US base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, amount to acts of war, the US military says.

The camp commander said the two Saudis and a Yemeni were 'committed' and had killed themselves in 'an act of asymmetric warfare waged against us'.


This asymetric PR advantage is definitely not a pys-ops many would consider. But to continue.
Rear Adm Harris said he did not believe the men had killed themselves out of despair.

'They are smart. They are creative, they are committed,' he said.

'They have no regard for life, either ours or their own. I believe this was not an act of desperation, but an act of asymmetrical warfare waged against us.'


Now these people also tried the hunger strike spin until the were force fed by concerned prison wardens. Maybe it wasn't quite like this description of forced feeding:

Force-feeding of humans was a common practice in the USSR. A brief, first account experience of a force-feeding session given by Vladimir Bukovsky describes the procedure in detail: "The feeding pipe was thick, thicker than my nostril, and would not go in. Blood came gushing out of my nose and tears down my cheeks, but they kept pushing until the cartilages cracked. I guess I would have screamed if I could, but I could not with the pipe in my throat. I could breathe neither in nor out at first; I wheezed like a drowning man - my lungs felt ready to burst. The doctor also seemed ready to burst into tears, but she kept shoving the pipe farther and farther down. Only when it reached my stomach could I resume breathing, carefully. Then she poured some slop through a funnel into the pipe that would choke me if it came back up. They held me down for another half-hour so that the liquid was absorbed by my stomach and could not be vomited back, and then began to pull the pipe out bit by bit." [5] Large feeding pipes are traditionally used on hunger striking prisoners [6], for example in Guantanamo Bay [7] whereas thin pipes are preferred in hospitals
.

On second thought, maybe their suicides could be attributed to Prozac:
At the same time, attempts at suicide and self-harm fit into a broader
pattern. Chief surgeon Edmondson says that the most common ailment among the
Gitmo prisoners is depression. More than a fifth of Camp Delta's inmates are
taking Prozac or other antidepressants.


Depression is always asymetric...